Search engine optimizers (SEOs) are the people who make sure that, when you conduct a search on Google or Bing, your website appears at the top of the results list. If you’ve ever wondered how to become an SEO expert, this article will guide you through all the steps needed to get started on your way.
Hone your technical skills
- Learn the basics of HTML and CSS. These two languages make up the structure of your website, and they’re the building blocks of a great SEO campaign.
- Learn to use image editing software. You’ll want to learn how to optimize your images using tools like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP so that you can ensure that your images are being displayed as effectively as possible on search engine result pages (SERPs). And remember: every good website has an awesome hero image at the top!
- Learn to use Google Analytics—yes, even if you don’t have a website yet! This free tool will help you track traffic sources and other data about your visitors so that when it comes time for optimization, you’ll know what’s working and what isn’t before anyone else does. Plus, it can be used by everyone from hobby bloggers all the way up through Fortune 500 companies who just want better insight into how their sites are performing overall so they can better target their audience with future campaigns without wasting money on ads or losing valuable time trying new things that may not pan out as expected.
Get some on-the-job experience
You can also get some on-the-job experience. Find a job as an SEO assistant, or volunteer to help out with website optimization. This will give you hands-on experience with the tools and techniques used by SEO pros every day.
The best way to build your skills is by practicing them regularly, but it’s also important to put together a portfolio of the work that you’ve done. Even if it’s only small projects at first, make sure they’re listed somewhere so people can see what kind of work you’ve done in this field!
Keep up with the latest search engine news and trends
In order to stay competitive and relevant as an SEO expert, you need to keep up with the latest news and trends in your industry. Here are some examples of what this may entail:
- Google’s mobile-first indexing policy (introduced in 2015) is a significant shift from their original indexing method, which ranked websites based on desktop traffic rather than mobile traffic. This change means that if you’re not optimizing your site for mobile devices now, it could seriously hurt your rankings down the road.
- The new Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) update was rolled out in 2018 as part of Google’s effort to speed up load times for web pages on mobile devices. If you’ve built a website already optimized for search engines but haven’t incorporated AMP into the design yet, it’s time to consider doing so soon!
Build up a grasp of coding languages
You need to know HTML and CSS to be able to build a website. These languages describe how web pages work, and they have a huge effect on the way that search engines scan your site.
Develop analytical skills
To become an SEO expert, you’ll need to develop strong analytical skills. The ability to interpret data and use it as a guide in your decision-making process will help you determine how well your SEO strategies are working. It’s also important because it allows you to spot trends in search engine optimization for both your website and other websites in the industry that could impact their rankings on search engines. It is also a good idea to hire experts from whom you will learn in practice. If you have your own small business, it is best to contact one of the well-known SEO agencies from Sydney to help you improve your business, and you will learn a lot along the way.
Get to grips with Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free tool that you can use to track your website traffic. It’s a powerful way to see how well users are interacting with your site, and it can help you improve the user experience on your site. You’ll want to familiarize yourself with Google Analytics—and learn its limitations—so that you can get an accurate picture of how people are finding, interacting with, and sharing content on your website.
Learn the principles of copywriting
Copywriting is the art of writing text that is designed to persuade and convert readers into customers. Copywriting is a form of marketing that uses words to sell a product or service, often through digital channels.
The principles of copywriting apply equally well whether you’re writing for an email newsletter, website content, social media posts or even sales pages on your e-commerce site. Here are some tips for making people want your products:
- Know your audience’s pain points
- Write in the first-person (but don’t be too personal)
- Use persuasive language
Gain an understanding of social media platforms
Social media is a powerful marketing tool. It’s important for SEO, but it also plays an important part in the digital marketing mix and has its own audience.
You should understand how each platform works so that you can use it effectively. For example, Facebook is different from Twitter because they have different audiences and therefore work differently. On Facebook you can post longer content than on Twitter, and there are more ways to interact with people on Facebook than there are on Twitter (e.g., liking or commenting). You should also know which platforms your target audience uses most often, since this will help you decide where to put your time and effort when engaging with them online.
Hopefully, we’ve given you a glimpse of what it takes to become an SEO expert. While there isn’t one right path for everyone, we hope that these tips will help you in your journey towards becoming an SEO expert.